Nature Notes

March 2, 2010

The Custom House- Hamilton

Filed under: Cityscape,Scenic — Tags: , — Harold Stiver @ 7:00 am
The Customs House, Hamilton

The Customs House, Hamilton

Ordered built by the Ontario Legislature in 1855 and completed in 1860, the Customs House was a center to promote the growing trade the area enjoyed aided by the nearby Port of Hamilton and the Great Railway Line. It can be found at 51 Stuart Street, where it currently houses the Workers Art and Heritage Center.

The Historic Plaque reads

“The former Customs House (1858-1860) is a fine example of the Italianate style of architecture which was popular in Canada from the 1840s through the 1870s. Inspired by Renaissance palazzi of Rome and Florence, Italianate buildings were characterized by an elevated first storey of rusticated stone, a smooth upper storey, abundant classical detailing and a heavy cornice. The design of the Customs House is enhanced by the superior quality of its stonework and the variety of finishes. Its construction reflected the rise of Hamilton as a major railway centre and Great Lakes port.”

All Images are Available for Licensing at Singular Video&Pix

Facebook Flickr Vimeo Twitter LinkedIn Contact Us License Images

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

Powered by WordPress