Nature Notes

April 17, 2014

Armstrong Mill: Ontario’s Old Mills

Filed under: Mill,Ontario — Tags: , , — Harold Stiver @ 6:00 am
Armstrong Mill: Ontario's Old Mills

Armstrong Mill: Ontario’s Old Mills

The Armstrong Mill was constructed by John and Mary Armstrong in 1856 and was in use until 1950. The realist painter Ken Danby purchased it and restored it as a private home and studio, and it appears as a subject in some of his paintings.


Armstrong Mill: Ontario's Old Mills

Armstrong Mill: Ontario’s Old Mills

Got to our index of Old Mills here

Ontario's Old Mills

All Images are Available for Licensing at Singular Video&Pix

Facebook Flickr Vimeo Twitter LinkedIn License Images


  1. Where is this located?

    Comment by Serena — April 29, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

  2. Put “Armstrong Mills, Ontario” in Google maps and you will find it on Mills Road just south of Jones Road.

    Comment by Harold — April 29, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

  3. Village of Chesterville Ontario Canada (Wikipedia)
    In 1848, the Province of Ontario was divided up into townships, in 1850 the first Chamber of Council was established in Chesterville. Originally known as “Armstrong’s Mills,” later renamed “Winchester,” the site was a prime location because of it being situated on the Nation River, a major transportation route at the time. In the early 1830s, Thomas Armstrong and his son John, both of Edwardsburg, erected a saw mill on the same site that two men by the name of Merkley years earlier in 1825 had built a mill, but due to a tragic accident they were both killed.
    Thomas soon had in operation a grist mill, by 1838, the building of these two mills had attracted many settlers to the area. In 1875 the name was changed to Chesterville and, in 1890, Chesterville was incorporated as a village. Unquote
    Note: I was wondering if your Armstrongs here were related to Thomas

    Comment by Joan Donnelly — October 20, 2016 @ 10:46 am

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

Powered by WordPress